Newborn session guide
Thank you so much for booking your newborn shoot with me. I'm looking forward to capturing these precious moments with your little one.
What to expect...
Your newborn photography session is just around the corner, and I want to ensure that you're fully prepared for the experience. Here's some helpful information to help you to prep for your session:
Your newborn photography session typically lasts between 1 to 2 hours, but it's wise to allow up to 3 hours.
This additional time accounts for any unexpected delays or moments when your little one needs extra soothing and settling. Babies can be unpredictable, and my priority is to ensure they are comfortable and relaxed throughout the session.
Comfort and Relaxation:
To create a soothing atmosphere, we maintain a comfortably warm temperature in our studio. This helps keep your baby content during the shoot. We also have comfortable seating available for parents, allowing you to relax while we work with your little one.
- Please try to keep your baby awake for longer periods in the morning to help them be tired and ready to sleep when you arrive. (Please don't stress if they fall asleep, though!)
- I recommend giving your baby a nice feed when you arrive. If you can bring a bottle of expressed milk or formula, it can help speed up the process. Some babies love to snack, which can lead to a stop-start process. A bottle ensures they're full and will sleep deeply and happily for at least 90 minutes.
- Keeping the baby awake might seem like a task, but it works!
- I may suggest using a dummy if your baby is unsettled. You never need to use one again, but it can help with settling so that the baby doesn't always have to be fed. Don't worry if you don't have one; I have new ones at each session.
- Mums, please try to keep a little distance by sitting on the chair provided. Your milk's scent is strong, and as soon as you get close, your baby might think it's feeding time, which can be distracting.
- Mums, please ensure you remove chipped nail polish.
- I'm fully prepared to change nappies and clean up messes. Don't stress if your baby soils everything; it's part of the process when capturing newborns without a nappy, and it's expected!
- Keep clothing plain and simple. Grey, pale blue, pale pink, or white tops and shorts are ideal, as the studio can get quite warm.
- For new mothers, I have a client wardrobe with dresses to flatter your post-baby body shape, with colors to suit all skin tones. Please keep your underwear light. These dresses can also save you the trouble of finding something to wear. Feel free to bring your own outfit if you have one.
- For fathers, please wear or bring a plain, pale shirt.
Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns. I'm here to make this experience as enjoyable and smooth as possible.
I'm genuinely excited to meet you all and capture these beautiful moments!
What is the turnaround for my images?
Who provides outfits for the baby?
Usually you will receive the first release of your images within 2 weeks of your session. Once you receive these you can decide which collection you would like to purchase.
I do!! My studio is fully stocked with cosy blankets and cute outfits for your little one.
What about using props or colours?
Will you take parent shots with the baby?
I don't really use props or colours in my work. I like to keep images neutral to ensure that the focus is 100% on the baby. I want you to have timeless images that remind you of the days when your new baby was just that, new!
Absolutely!! I always suggest that both parents have at least one photo taken with the baby, even if you're camera shy. You will never get this opportunity again. It's better to have it and not need, than to wish you had it!!